John Smith pays me a visit



Today I am lucky enough to be joined by one of the greatest gumshoes of this century. John Smith, a man without knowledge of his past and a private dick determined to figure it out, is here and he has some stuff he wants to talk about. Without further ado I present my guest for the day.

***

It’s been an eventful ride, I won’t lie. Usually when you sign up to be a private detective the last thing you expect is to be taken on as the personal on-call dick for both Heaven and Hell, but here we are.
…. And where is here, exactly? Somewhere out in the etherverse. I was invited here by the lovely Jaime Johnesee to do a guest blog. I’m a newb at this, to be honest, so be patient, folks. Jaime asked me to talk about my latest case, so here goes.

My name is John Smith. It used to be Virgil Calahan a long time ago, circa World War I, but I’ll be damned if I wear that moniker again. Long story. Read the books. Yes, I look great for my age, thank you. I started off taking local cases in the quiet town of Gettysburg, Pennsylvania until one day two demons walked into my office and my life was never the same after that.

Another thing about me, I apparently wear my heart on my sleeve for any lady who comes along – or rather just one lady who came along. Cherry is one of those women who gets under your skin because you can’t get under hers first. We had a past together, and I thought we had a future until I met Lily and then things got complicated real fast. They were like two sides of the same coin, one side sex and the other side love. You take your pick which one’s which. After spending a whiskey-drenched night in the honeymoon suite of the Gettysburg Hotel with a demon passed out drunk in the bathtub I have zero desire to get hitched. 

This latest case hit closer to home, and maybe that’s the reason I didn’t see all the signs in front of me. What should have been obvious was clouded by the promise of carnal adventures, so when the vampires showed up it kind of threw me for a loop. Now before you start looking down on me for associating with dirt nappers, they were my clients and they were paying some very good money for me to take their case. And just to set the record straight, it turns out they have lovely homes and prefer to sleep in a bed as it’s more comfortable.

Just when the vampire case seemed to be hitting an undead end (get it?) I got to meet Lily’s husband. Yeah, I had no idea she was married either. It’s all a blur after that.
So here I sit in the pub on the square writing a blog entry on a napkin and drowning my sorrows. My mental roomie, aka Metatron, assures me of fish and seas or something equally cliché, and I find myself wondering if I’ll ever be able to look in a mirror and see only my own reflection looking back at me, or if the angel will always be there, lurking in the background, waiting to give me advice.

***

Thanks for dropping by, John. It was really great to see you again and I am so looking forward to your next adventure!

Murdered Metatron and The Dispossessed are available at the links below. I highly recommend them if you like awesome hard boiled detective stories with a paranormal theme. If you don't, well, you are missing out big time. 





The Murdered Metatron:







The Dispossessed:


Apocrypha of the Apocalypse:

Popular posts from this blog

Mark Tufo takes over with Part One of 'Through My Baby's Eyes'.

Emerian Rich Talks Clockwork Wonderland

The Stew on Kaldar 3 is Fantastic (Flash fiction fun)